Thursday, August 02, 2007

Day 4

A few years ago, while watching The Today Show at the gym, I saw Al Roker do a story on the Corn Palace. They are the world's only corn palace. What is a corn palace, you may ask? Well, it's a building decorated entirely with corn. You really can't make stuff like this up. As we drove through South Dakota this afternoon, I spotted several signs advertising this wonder with great slogans like "It's A-MAIZE-ING." I convinced Curly to take a slight detour from our planned route and check out this modern marvel. Every year they decorate with a new theme. I have no idea who "they" is. They just do it. This year was a tribute to the rodeo. Flower and Mini-me thought it was the coolest thing they had ever seen. Admission is free, and you can even take a tour, meeting at the "corn-cession" stand. On the inside is a small arena, complete with a stage and basketball court. It was originally built for livestock auctions. I was not disappointed, but I think Curly was a little underwhelmed. He's a good sport.

The drive through South Dakota has been spectacular. As we neared sunset (which was pretty here, too), we came over the crest of a hill to look down on the Missouri River and a mountain rising behind it. While I don't want to live here, I kind of like South Dakota. I've been singing the song from The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band: "Dakota, Dakota! Where a man stands tall. Dakota, oh Dakota! Where there's land for all!" There is a lot of land. There is a lot of corn. We've gotten into some serious ethanol discussions. Personally, I am all for it. There's a lot of corn out there. A. Lot.

Today has not been without its mishaps. We were trying to stretch out time between stops earlier today had resorted to snacks in the car (gasp!). I had been giving some chips and crackers to Patch as we drove along. I reached back, gave Patch a wheat thin, which he proceeded to choke on, followed by him throwing up that and all the rest of his snacks. It was gross. Then, driving along I-90, minding our own business, a road runner, probably trying to outrun a wily coyote, ran right in front of our car. All that's left of him is a feather. I didn't see him after impact, but Curly assured me he was not stuck under the car, but had rolled away (forcefully) from the car.

Until tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your unexpected adventures (good and bad...) and unplanned sightseeing stops sound so reminiscent of our cross-country trips with our kids. When you have the time, a road trip is the best way to see the USA! Have a great time and be safe.
Love, Grandma

Anonymous said...

yummm baby vomit!! It should prove nice after you lock the car up for a time in the heat.
I am glad you were able to see such an a-maizing corn palace!! have fun