Sunday, October 14, 2007

Holiday Gift Giving

I like to have my holiday shopping done by Thanksgiving. I like to know what projects I am doing as gifts and have supplies purchased by Thanksgiving. This doesn't always happen. For one, we pay for Christmas using Curly's dinner theater tips. Good tips don't start until after Thanksgiving. For another, my handmade gift list is usually too ambitious. I've compiled a list of my favorite online sites for special gifts. Here they are, in no particular order:
  • Omaha Steaks. These steaks come perfectly portioned (the size of a deck of cards), are easy to freeze, and delicious to eat. Plus, they have lots of extras, like twice baked potatoes and molten lava chocolate cake.
  • Brownies. My sister in law showed me this site just recently, when we realized we both forgot our favorite older brothers birthday. Whoops! The only way to adequately grovel is to send decadent brownies.
  • Lobster Gram. For the ultimate foodie, this is the ultimate gift. For a reasonable price, they will send everything your recipient needs to have a great lobster meal, including the pot.
  • 1-800-Flowers. Does it bother anyone else that the website name is a phone number? That aside, I love to get and give flowers. There is something so nice and thoughtful about a bouquet of flowers.
  • Carsons Ribs. This one is solely for nostalgia. This is the restaurant we used to go to the night after Thanksgiving. The ribs are delicious and travel very well.
  • Cookies. Whether you go with the fun Cookies by Design or the mall favorite of Mrs. Fields, everyone loves a cookie. Cookies by Design even has same day delivery, so send a bouquet of cookies to yourself when you're having a bad day at work. You can sign the card "From your secret admirer." I won't tell...
  • Sausage and Cheese. Last, but not least, who can forget the great summer sausage by mail? A holiday gathering just cries out for a beef stick and a crock of cheese. Order yours today.

These are just a tip of the iceberg of what's out there. What specialty items do you like to send by mail?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to send Honeybells. They arrive in January when the weather is cold and blah. http://www.honeybell.com/

They are SO yummy and juicy, you should eat them over the sink! Each box comes with a bib, too! We always send ourselves a box, too.

Deb Frankoff

Anonymous said...

Jana you inspired me. I went to the Omaha Steak site for the first time & my mouth is watering at all the goodies.