Monday, July 29, 2013

Vacation, Part Disney

My first trip to Disneyland was when I was 18. My friend Rachel invited me to come to California for a family event. Problem was, it was the week before finals. I'm a nerd -- studying is my joy. While my parents were visiting for some Spring skiing, Rachel casually mentioned the trip to my mom. For those that know my mom, it will come as no surprise that she looked at me and said, "Oh! Live a little." So I did. And a Disney convert was born.

Ever since that trip, I have wanted to take my family there. Honestly, I never thought it would happen. First of all, we are not wealthy. Second of all, we're kinda poor. I will never be able to repay my inlaws for making this dream come true. They have no idea how much it means to me. Or maybe they do. 

We got to Anaheim on Sunday evening and went straight to Downtown Disney to check things out. 
 The next morning, we got to the park when it opened. We weren't the first people there, but we were close. Upon entering the gates, I cried. It was an ugly cry. And then we saw Donald and I ran my family over to him for a picture. Do you see that crazy look on my face? Yeah, it hasn't been seen since I met the Butlers.
 We hit the ground running. I sent the kids and Curly on Star Tours and took Ginger and Mavis to meet some Faeries. Ginger wouldn't even look at her. She wouldn't smile for a picture. I thought she was traumatized. But, moments later we were reunited with the rest of the family and guess who couldn't stop talking about Tinkerbell? Turns out Ginger loved it. She wanted to go again. So we did. This time she wouldn't even get in the picture. PS -- Curly told Tink a joke. "What's a fairies favorite candy? Pixie sticks!" So, if you go to Disneyland and Tink tells you that joke, she got it from Curly. PPS -- she was cute as a button.
 Ginger also wanted to do the teacups. (Sidebar -- who knew she knew so much about Disneyland? Holy cow that girl is a sponge!) I've never seen a smile that big on her.
 The thing that the kids really wanted to do was Jedi Training. I had read up on it and knew it was kind of crazy, and busy, and that they might not get chosen. Luck was on our side (and maybe some prayers), and Patch, Mini-me, and two of their cousins were chosen. Patch decided he needed to wear the hood. He was so proud of himself, especially when he defeated Darth Vader.
 Later on, we met Minnie Mouse in her house. Ginger ran up to her and gave her a hug. Flower didn't want to get in the picture because she doesn't like when people dress up and lose sight of reality. I just hate that Mavis was asleep, because this would have made one heck of a Christmas card photo.
 Tuesday found us over in California Adventure. Lieutenant Shane hightailed it to the Fast Pass line for the Radiator Springs ride, and we got right in line. Long story shortened, Patch and Mini-me got to ride it 3 times.
 After Cars Land, Curly took Flower on California Screamin', and Aunt Nora and I took the rest of the kids to Disney Jr. Live. It was awesome, right up until the time Ginger shoved a Gold Dablune up her nose. Then we got to go to the most magical place of all --- Disney First Aid!

Wednesday was declared Princess Day (by me). We started out with Cinderella.
 Then Ariel, who Flower sang to.
 Ginger was really enjoying herself, even though she doesn't look it. As we would leave, she would turn and curtsy to the princess. It was pretty adorable.
 And then we came upon Sleeping Beauty, who got Ginger to talk. It was awesome.
 Outside was the wild and crazy princess Merida, and her bear brothers. The brothers were so cool. They would interact with you if you talked to them. Ginger totally ignored Merida and had a grand time with the brothers.
And then I got sick with a nasty stomach bug and spent the rest of the day in bed. Seriously, it was terrible. I was so sad to miss our last day there, but they had such a good time. So many aunts and uncles and grandparents to take my kids to see and do things. I am so grateful. 

Disney magic is unlike any other magic. At one point I felt like shouting a testimony that dreams really do come true! I've gotta sell a lot of quilts so we can go back.

3 comments:

patty said...

I love this post. Apparently Disneyland is the happiest place on earth.

Rach said...

I'm so glad you got to go. I'm sorry we couldn't hook up while we were there. It would have been fun. It is the happiest place on earth!!

Mama Pea said...

Glad you had a great time. We really need to get Elsa to Disney.