Saturday, November 17, 2007

Recip-ease

This recipe has been served at our Thanksgiving dinners for generations. Well, not really. But we sure like it. I'm a little fuzzy on where the recipe came from (I think from a cookbook called "When Mormons Meet they Eat"), but I say it's my mom's. If you don't like sweet potatoes with marshmallows, give this a try. It's especially delicious for breakfast. Just a little note -- we often leave the nuts out of the topping because several folks in the family have nut allergies. It tastes really good either way.

SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
Bake and then peel and mash: 5 medium sized sweet potatoes.
Add:
¼ tsp. salt
¼ cup butter
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ cup sugar
2 T cream
Place in a casserole and top with the following:
¼ cup soft butter
3 T flour
¾ cups brown sugar
½ cup chopped pecans
Mix topping until it is like coarse meal. Sprinkle over potatoes. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds perfect. I am having a family over and they don't care for the good ole marshmallows!! I think that I will give this a try. Wish me luck!!You rock for always sharing great things. love ya

Anonymous said...

i am not a sweet potato fan, but this dish is AMAZING!!!!! Highly recommended!

DanceNplay said...

This is the exact way I make my sweet potatoes. I don't do the marshmellow thing. The brown sugar and pecan topping is where it's at!!! I love it!

Anonymous said...

I love this dish! My recipe is almost exactly this, but I don't think mine has eggs in it. I could be wrong though, I only make it once a year! It's one of my favorites...ok all the dishes are my favorite except the turkey. I only eat one small piece.