Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snow Day, Take 2

Schools are closed again today. We got about 9" of snow. It's a wet snow, so it doesn't really look like 9" right now. Apparently the commute out of DC was a nightmare. It took my dad and brother over 7 hours to travel less than 20 miles. That's what I call crazy. The kids have already been out to play with the neighborhood kids. They came in after about 2 hours with red cheeks, ready to rest.

This week also starts a new access schedule for Flower. We are no longer picking her up during the week, and she will be going to church with her mom and step-dad, instead of with us. It's a hard transition for all of us. Mini-me and Patch are not happy. We really think this is what's best for Flower. She's almost 12, ready to start Young Women, and getting really busy at school and with friends. Being a tween means that parents are lame and siblings are a drag. Unfortunately, she can't escape us completely, so she'll spend most Friday nights here and most of the day on Saturday. We'll have to revisit that when she's old enough to date, which, if Curly has his way, will be never.

I made another knitting needle roll for a customer. I just love these bright fabrics. It makes me think of spring. Can I just confess that I really don't like spring? I like the colors, as long as they are bright -- no pastel spring for me, thank you very much. I don't like the odor. There, I said it. There is a white tree that makes me sneeze. And, Frederick is pretty rural. The scent of farms thawing out is pretty rank. I used to commute to DC via the train, and the station is right close to a farm with livestock, namely pigs. Pigs do not smell good. That really has nothing to do with pretty knitting needle rolls now does it.
This is a view with the top flap folded over, which keeps the needles in their slots should you pick it up upside down. I just love that pink fabric. I think it would make a really cute kids skirt, don't you?

9 comments:

Brooke said...

Love these fabrics - have some of this line too!
Enjoy the snow day! ;)

Johanna said...

I know what you mean, some things about spring are just too annoying to make it fun. I do love seeing the sun more though. Even if I have to stay inside if I don't want to die from sneezing (slight exaggeration here :) but allergies are the one thing that I hate about blooming trees)
Love the fabrics you chose for the needle roll! I make similar ones for all kinds of pencils and I love how simple yet very useful they are.

Jewel said...

I adore the flowers... such a sweet thing. Must be hard with the 12 year old... Mine just turned 13 and doesn't want to go anywhere with mom and dad... :)

Mama Pea said...

Oh, I like that needle case. The flowers are just great on the flap, too! Great job!

Candice @ Made With Love said...

The needle case is adorable! I love the fun and funky colors/prints! :)

Anonymous said...

Spring? Do you think it really might happen? Really?

Lisa and Doug said...

Holy adorable! ( and I love your reading your views on Spring!!)

Karen said...

Those spring fabrics make a great needle case. Farm smells are definitely an acquired smell. I used to loathe visiting my Dad's familys' dairy farm at milking time. All that methane and poop.

Thimbleanna said...

Oh Wow -- that needle roll is adorable! I REALLY need to make one for myself -- I have needles everywhere. I love how you put the flowers on it!