Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Thunderstorms

Tonight there is a chance of massive thunderstorms. The wind has picked up and the leaves are inside out. I can't help but think we're in for a big one. Last night at about 12:15, the skies opened and we were treated to a long and loud storm. The lightning was very bright and very close together. Even the cat was freaked by it. The wind blew like crazy and the gutters overflowed onto the sidewalk. It was, in a word, nuts. A smaller storm came through about an hour later. I am not a fan.

Patch has been very needy lately. He wants to sit on my lap every time I sit down, or be carried anytime we go anywhere. It's fine for now, but soon there won't be much lap and he'll be to heavy to safely carry. While he sat on my lap this morning, I told him there was a baby in my tummy. He said: "A baby? Cool." Then he tried to see it. Rookie mistake.

I have read a lot of books in the past week. Since the new Harry Potter movie will be out in about a month, I decided to read The Half-Blood Prince again. Then I read the seventh book; The Deathly Hallows. I wanted to continue with my escapism, so I read Twilight, followed by the other 3 books in the series. Each of these six books took me less than a day. Then I read by book club book, The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton. It was fabulous. Now I making my way through My Latest Grievance by Elinor Lipman. When I am not feeling well, I love to escape in a good book. The first 6 of the past week helped me escape without thinking much, which was sorely needed. My book group book got me thinking about who I am as a mother and the things I do for myself. My current book is witty and insightful. I would not be making it through 1st Trimester sickness without being able to go into another world for even a short time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Add Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout to your list...it's a great piece of literature.

Lisa and Doug said...

I am writing all of these down!