Saturday, June 20, 2009

My Dad

This is my Dad. I have no pictures of him without kids surrounding him. This one was taken Halloween '07.

Growing up, Dad had a mug. It was huge, glass, and had "Bet You Can't" written in big red letters on the side. On Saturday mornings when he was out doing heavy labor in the yard, we used to love taking him water in the mug to see if he could. It wasn't until about a week ago that I realized the challenge wasn't for water drinkers, but for drinkers of the harder stuff. I remember a lot of yard work Saturdays. Dad loves to beautify his spaces, in and out. He has a beautiful yard and a beautiful home as well. He's got an eye for those things.

Growing up, I'm not sure he knew quite what to do with us. It wasn't until we hit teen years that we began to all have a good time. That's when we all discovered his college passion: Skiing. When I was in college, I took a ski class just so I could keep up with him a little better. The other thing he's really good at is working out. Right after I graduated from college, moved home, and started my first job, we joined a gym together. Every morning at 6am, we drove to Evolution Fitness together. From this I learned that most of life's problems can be solved or lessened through exercise.

My dad had a lot of busy callings while I was growing up. He was at church meetings several nights a week, and most Sundays, too. He taught me that if you serve the Lord as He has asked, your family will be taken care of.

Thanks, Dad, for all you have done for me. I couldn't, and wouldn't, ask for a better one.

3 comments:

teamZ said...

That's a sweet tribute to Kenny G.

Anonymous said...

Shoot. We didn't see this yesterday, and now Dad is not home; he'll read it later today. One thing I know for sure: your dad is always proud of you.

VH said...

Perfect tribute. I agree about the fitness thing. Whenever I complain he always asks two things:
have you been to the temple?
have you been to the gym?