Monday, September 19, 2011

Sewing Tip

This weekend I loaded up Wedding Quilt #3 on the Mega Quilter. I know, I know. The wedding was 3 weeks ago. The other two I did this summer were gifted right on time. An average of 2 out of 3 is not too bad. Anyway, I thought I would share a little tip on keeping your row straight. Since I rarely finish a quilt in one sitting, or even two for that matter, I have to leave myself clues so I don't make a mistake. Once my blocks are sewn together into rows, I label the rows, like so:
I cut some scraps of white fabric into small pieces and then wrote a number each one. This quilt had seven rows, so I had numbers 1-7. Then I just pin it to the left edge of the row. It really helps keep everything organized so that when you go to sew it together, it has the right layout. Anyone else ever sew a row on upside down and then have to unpick? Such a pain! Since I started doing this, I haven't had that problem. 

The quilt is all quilted, so today is binding day. It coincides so perfectly with premier week on TV. I am so excited for my shows to come back! I think I am most excited about Fringe. That show is so weirdly awesome.

Shameless Promotion Alert! I added a couple of items to my etsy shop. The Halloween banners are particularly darling!

4 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Yep -- I label them just like you do -- works every time. You and hubby should spend time together. He loves Fringe. I just mostly pick on him for watching it cause I haven't paid attention long enough to get it LOL!

Brooke said...

Can't wait to see your quilt finished - the fabric is enticing!!
Enjoy the binding process - glad you have good TV to help pass the time - multi-tasking at it's best!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

I am definitely not a spatial thinking kind of gal, and although I use the same method to label my rows (even going so far as to write L on the post it note, too, so I know it goes left to right) I have sewn on rows upside down multiple, multiple times, in fact more times than not probably!

I have also changed the needle position on my machine and put a post-it right over the button to remind me when I turn the machine off and on to reset it, and still used the home setting to sew together about 40 blocks before I realized it, and then had to unpick all of them.

Enjoy your show!!!

Karen said...

I label the rows too! I detest unpicking and I only had to do it once to start labelling the rows. Nice timing with having to something to good to watch while you stitch. School holidays start on Friday for 2 weeks. Yeah.