Friday, November 16, 2007

Chili

I make a mean chili. It's a real crowd-pleaser, even though it didn't win our ward chili cook-off last year. I have been asked to post the recipe, and so I will.

I love this time of year because of the food. It's no secret that I'm an eater, and I'm okay with that. Thanksgiving and Christmas are full of such wonderful dishes. Even though they are the same every year, I can't wait to eat them again. This next week, I will be posting some of my favorite recipes. Try them out and let me know how you like them!

Chili con Carne

2 lbs ground beef (can also use a combination of meats, like pork and veal)
1 large onion, chopped
2 red bell peppers, chopped
28-oz can crushed tomatoes
1-2 cans diced tomatoes (save liquid for later)
1/2 cup beef stock
2 packages McCormicks chili spice
2 cans kidney beans, drained

In a large pot, brown ground beef. Add salt and pepper to taste. When meat is no longer pink and broken up into small pieces, remove from pot using a slotted spoon, and place in a bowl. Without draining fat, add the onions and bell peppers to the pot. You may need to add a little olive oil if using a lean meat. Once veggies are tender, add beef to the pot with tomatoes and stock. Add spices. If the chili seems too thick, add some liquid from the diced tomatoes or more beef stock. Simmer on the stove uncovered for at least 30-45 minutes. The longer it simmers, the better it tastes. About 5 minutes before serving, add kidney beans.

Serve with fritos, cheese, sour cream, green onions, and corn bread.

No comments: