Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Weight Loss Wednesday

I just completed week 15 on Weight Watchers. The weight is definitely not "peeling off" me, but it's coming off slow and steady. I am pleased with my progress and with the changes I am making. Last week, our topic at the meeting was about our support. I am very fortunate that Curly is super supportive of me, even though he thinks I can do it on my own. Trust me, I can't. That $36 a month is money well spent, trust me. We also talked about those who think they are being supportive, but really they are not. They are the self-appointed Diet Police. The Diet Police like to comment about what you're eating. They say things like: "Are you allowed to eat that?" or "That can't be on your diet." Or, if you have a bad week, they try to be helpful by saying: "Well, you probably just ate too much." While the Diet Police think they are helping, in actuality, they are not. I don't have too many people in my life who have joined the squad, but I do have a few.

First of all, yes, I am allowed to eat anything. I'm an adult who can make my own decisions. Secondly, I am not on a diet. I am changing the way I think about food, and I am changing the way food affects me. Food is not my friend and won't make me feel better. Food is fuel. It's delicious fuel, but it's fuel nonetheless. And, if I have a bad week, it might be because I didn't go to the bathroom yet, or because I'm wearing jeans instead of workout pants, or any number of reasons, including eating too much. Losing weight is as much a mental battle as it is a physical one. My mom told me to think of feeling a little hungry as Pac Man, munching away at the fat in my tummy. Try it, it's fun.

The thing I try to remember is that I am not my weight nor my size. I am me. I really like me, not matter the package. But to be the best me and the healthiest me, I have chosen to lose weight and make my package a little more enticing.

7 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Great post. I love it! I like you too.

Anonymous said...

You sure do know yourself, and I'm glad I was quoted as saying something helpful because I feared I might be counted among the Diet Police:) On my food log I wrote, "nothing tastes as good as losing a pound feels." It's true.
You're doing great -- keep on going.

Leslie said...

i can not stand the diet police...my mom does it sometimes. well a lot! you are right, losing weight is just about loving yourself even more.

Karen said...

You can do IT! (because its what you want)

Lisa and Doug said...

My house mother in college used to sit at the head of the table and serve our dessert. She would first look at the girl, and then decide what size of cake or pie she felt they needed. I was often served a very small piece. I did not like her being my diet police!

The Boys Mommy said...

Awesome post...very well said!

FootprintsinClay said...

I LOVE WW. I went to the WW meetings for 1-1/2 years and lost 80lbs. It just works! It is sooo true that the $36 dollars is money well spent. When I quit going to the meetings I got off track fast and started gaining it back - so I have to work at it everyday. It truly is a lifestyle change and the accountability factor is sooo important! Congrats on your success and keep up the positive changes! Love, Jen Mercadante