Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Reading

I love to read. When I was a kid, I preferred reading to friends. My brother would tell you that it wasn't so much a choice as a byproduct of being a dork, but whatever. I read a lot for pleasure, even during the school year. I have to admit, even my love of reading couldn't help me pass a Mr. Rouse pop quiz on A Tale of Two Cities.

But I digress, and get ahead of myself. Just a bit.

One of the reasons I love Harry Potter so much is that it's something we all read together. I can count on one hand the number of friends I have who are not reading it. What I enjoy most is being able to have a discussion on the book, beyond just "Oh my gosh! Snape is Hermione's real dad!" I like discussing themes and application. That's why I love my book group. We move beyond the storyline into application.

I was intrigued a few years ago when I heard the city of Chicago read To Kill a Mockingbird together. What a cool thing -- a whole city reading. That, and Harry Potter, have got me thinking about how neat it would be to do a cyber book-club. I think back to high school English and realize that I didn't "get" most of those books, because I was trying to pass a pop quiz (I mean, who can remember the color of Gatsby's car, and who cares?). So I wanted to ask you, my 25 readers, if you would join me in reading a book. I don't know what it will be yet, but it will be a "classic." If you are interested, post a comment or shoot me an email and we'll get rolling. Book suggestions would also be welcome. No LaVerle Spencer, Grandma. She's just too racy :)

7 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Great idea! Count me in. I wouldn't mind reading to Kill a Mockingbird again but I have always wanted to read Count of Monte Cristo but never have. I look forward to hearing what book you choose.

Anonymous said...

I'd be up for it.

Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to Laverle Spencer anyway?

How about Sinclair Lewis "Main Street".

Or John OHara, "From the Terrace"
or "Butterfield 8".
Or anything you choose sounds good if I can find it at Borders.
GMa

Anonymous said...

My mom and sister read The Red Tent and loved it. That's next on my reading list.

Sign me up for the ACSDQ reading group...

Lisa and Doug said...

Like Chicago, the city of Naperville has had a program called "Naperville Reads" and the whole town is encouraged to read a certain book. The first one was "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. The next one was "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See. This year it was "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson. I enjoyed being a part of a reading movement.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea, and I'd love to "join"! Even if my book club (which has met monthly except summers since 1980!) read your choice in the past year, I'd read it again... actually anything we've read over a year ago I'd have probably forgotten anyway.

We LOVED having Patrick with us on Friday/Saturday. What a happy boy! He's still into cardboard books and although they are fun to read, I'd recommend something a little more stimulating for the cyber bookies.
Love, Grandma (Judy)

Anonymous said...

Guys never get to join book groups and I've always wanted to . . . so if you do the cyber-thingie, I'm in. I might even get a real google identity for the occasion.