Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Madhuri Modern Mini Tutorial

Remember my mini-quilt?


Of course you do. I know you've been dying to know how to make one yourself. Well, my friend, that day is today. My fellow Quilted Fish Design Team members and I are revealing our tutorials today. Woo-hoo!! The pattern is made by one simple block being turned different ways. So let's get started.

You'll need:
16 4" squares pattern
16 4" squares solid
36 1.75" squares pattern
36 1.75" squares solid
Fabric for binding, about 80"

Pair up a 4" pattern square with a 4" solid square. We're going to make Half Square Triangles, or HSTs.

 I have this awesome ruler that when lined up on the diagonal, gives you a scant quarter inch on each side. It's awesome. Did I say awesome? Because it is. It helps me make perfect HSTs. But, if you don't have one of these awesome rulers, go ahead and make yours according to your favorite method.
 Once your lines are sewn, cut down the center on the diagonal.
 Press seams open and admire.
 Square up to 3.5". Again, I have a fun ruler.
 Draw a diagonal line on the back of each 1.75" square. Place the pattern square on the solid side, and the solid square on the pattern side. Sew along the diagonal line.
 Trim the excess, and press seams open.

Sew the squares together, 6 rows of 6. In the odd rows, alternate the small solid corner first on the bottom right, then on the bottom left. In the even rows, alternate the solid square first on the top right, then on the top left. That will create the diamond patterns. Quilt as desired. I chose to emphasize the diamonds by quilting concentric squares within the patterns, and leaving the pink solid fabric plain. 
 Bind your mini-quilt according to your favorite method.


Enjoy! Now, go check out the other tutorials today:


And don't forget to pick up some Madhuri while you're out fabric shopping. Or while fabric shopping in your pjs. Either way, go get some!


3 comments:

Jackie said...

Um, why isn't my name first? ahhahaha

Gill said...

Fabulous!
The colours really sing!

Lisa Lisa said...

Your mini is awesome! I have those rulers, too, and love them! I'm lovin' Madhuri!