Saturday, April 18, 2009

MS Walk Update

We are one week away from the 2009 MS Walk. Thank you to everyone who has donated so far!! We are planning on walking as a family. I am not sure how far we'll make it, but we'll go as far as we can.

This spring marks 15 years since MS put my mom in a wheelchair. She didn't stay in it very long, but as a family, we will never forget that time. By the end of the summer, she was using a cane, and a year later, people were amazed that she was moving around like normal. This is thanks to several things. First, my mom is the furthest thing from lazy. As a child, I do not remember her sitting, except at meals. She worked very hard with physical therapists and personal trainers. Now she is in better shape than me. And that's okay. Second, my mom got on some amazing medication. She gives herself shots every other day. It has helped heal her brain and prevent major attacks from coming again. Third, my mom has a profound faith in Jesus Christ. With God, all things are possible.

Check back next week for photos from the event. Wear orange on Saturday in support of MS research! And, donate if you're able.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a surprise to read your blog about me! I'm really nothing special, and when I read about that long ago experience I feel so sad for anyone who has to go through that -- but I'm not sad for me! Isn't that odd? You left out one thing that got/gets me through a chronic illness: my fabulous family. You were a good little mother to your family fifteen years ago.

Lisa and Doug said...

Three cheers for your mom!

VH said...

I wish we were there to walk! Take plenty of pics!