Monday, August 11, 2008

School

My aunt posted about her youngest going off to college in just a couple of weeks. I am having the opposite experience, with my first (well, second sort of, but you know what I mean) going to the Big School for the first time. Mini-me has been in preschool for 2 years, but preschool is different. Preschool was in a one-room building a block away from our house. Preschool was only a few days a week. In two weeks, she will start Pre-K at the elementary school. Pre-K is every day of the week. It's not all day, but that's next year, and I already feel a little anxious about her eating lunch in the cafeteria. What if she gets lost on the way to the bathroom? What if she needs chapstick? What if she falls down and rips a hole in her pants? I know she'll only be gone for a few hours a day, but in two weeks she starts on 14 years of schooling before college. That's a long time and I'm not sure I'm ready for it. I don't even know what kind of glue to get for her. Stick or Elmers? And what about pencils? Mechanical or sharpened? Does she need a pencil box? Or a trapper keeper? Do they even make trapper keepers anymore? HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THIS STUFF!!

Mini-me is screeching at Patch right now, so maybe it won't be so bad that she goes, even if she does need chapstick.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh boy, 1st day of school jitters coming up for Mom! I am sure you will get that LONG list of school needs Jana, the 50 boxes of Kleenex, with specific types of pencils, crayons, markers, papers etc, enough to supply a whole class it seems! Not to worry Jana, believe me they will let you know LOL! Mimi-me will love pre-K, and you will wonder how you survived the day without it in a short while.
And PS, I mailed your Cupcake Swap pkg today by Priority Mail. Have a great week!

Lisa and Doug said...

I feel your pain....

Emily Snow said...

Thomas' school doesn't have a list. They provide almost everything except for the fact that I have to send him with gym clothes and shoes in a bag and also "indoor shoes" this is what is puzzling to me...does this mean slipper-like shoes or does this mean I send a pair of shoes that have never been worn outside that he keeps indoors? I've tried to get an answer but so far...none. I'm actually unnerved by the fact that I don't really have a list to work on. We have orientation the day before the first day of school...that doesn't leave me a lot of time to find something that wasn't in the parent packet--totally stressed out by it.