Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Best Day of the Year

It's almost time for the best day of the year. I'm talking about Thanksgiving. I love it with all my heart. I love the food. I love the togetherness. I love the purpose. And I love how there are absolutely no presents involved.

Growing up, we would load up the mini van (or later, hop on a plane), and head west to Chicago. There we would stay at my Grandparents house, and my aunts, uncles, and cousins who lived there would come over. And like the Whos down in Whoville, we would feast, feast, feast, feast! The men would take over the den and TV, the women would be in the living room, usually stitching, and the kids would be camped out in my grandparent's bedroom, watching Charlie Brown, White Christmas, and any other movie we could find in their Beta Disc collection. It was the best day ever.

While I am sure it was stressful to have all those people over, I never felt it from my Grandparents. In fact, they seemed in their element. They loved all the family and noise.

Every year around this time I love to sit and reminisce. Those memories of Thanksgivings past certainly have a honey glow to them. I hope my kids have the same feeling about the holidays I am trying to create for them. Although, I have married into a family that approaches Thanksgiving quite differently than I do. For example, their stuffing is made from rice. Rice! And they don't like sweet potatoes. Not even my mom's sweet potato casserole with the brown sugar crumble topping.

I know!

But that's okay. If there is one thing my grandparents showed me, Thanksgiving is about who you spend it with, and being grateful for the people who are missing from around the table. I know I am profoundly grateful for my Zundel grandparents. They are my heroes. This year, I will raise a turkey leg and a prayer of thanksgiving to them.

1 comment:

Thimbleanna said...

Awww, that made my heart lurch just a wee bit. I love Thanksgiving too -- such a warm, loving holiday. I hope you and your family have a Very Happy Thanksgiving!