Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Vacation, Part 1

We've been home from vacation for a few days now. I feel like I could still sleep for a week. When we vacation, we go all out. No relaxing allowed!

This year found us winging our way west to the great state of California. I love California. It is such a glamorous place. For one thing, the palm trees. Am I right? Is there a happier tree than a palm tree? No there is not. For another, the ocean. I love the ocean. Not enough to get in it. I mean, that thing is a giant toilet. But I do love to look at it and sit by it.

So here are some photos of part one of our trip: The Kigin Family Reunion.

 We stayed in Carlsbad, CA. Right on the beach. It was cloudy while we were there, and the surf was a little rough, but we didn't mind a bit.
 Mavis loved it.
 So did Curly and Flower.
 Curly's cousin Sara loves babies. I hardly held Mavis the entire time we were there. I wish she could have come home with us.
My bestie Candice lives close-ish to Carlsbad. I mean, it would seem a lot closer if we didn't sit in 2 hours of traffic. We spent the afternoon eating Mexican food and fabric shopping. It was my idea of heaven. On the way home, Mavis had a wee bit of a meltdown in the backseat. Such a baby. Candice was a good sport, but I think she'll think twice before getting on I-5 with a baby in the back.
 I was very nervous to let my kids in the water because the the surf advisory. But, Curly promised he was stronger than the ocean. So.
 Curly's cousin Austin was the Ginger-whisperer. I think she has a bit of a crush. He played with her for a couple of hours on the beach. I wish I could have brought him home, too.
 I forgot to bring Mavis' swim suit. She was super embarrassed.
 Patch and his cousin/bestie Wyatt enjoyed being buried in the sand.
 And Mini-me and Flower were the perfect Beach Beauties. We all were totally fooled by the clouds and got wicked sunburns. Mavis even got one. It was so sad. She was under the umbrella the entire time, but it wasn't keeping the sun off.
 Curly and his very tall brother helped Cousin Sara do some boogie boarding. Pure joy.
 Ginger developed Merida hair on the beach.
 I often came across Patch lounging with his legs crossed. He leads a hard life, so relax he must!
Curly's dad's cousin Steve was also a big fan of babies. If Sara didn't have Mavis, then Steve did. With two Kigin cousins to pass around, no one went without a baby for long.

We left Carlsbad and had dinner with my Aunt and Uncle. Sadly, no pictures. Only memories. We came in and made ourselves at home. Patch cried at dinner that he was so hungry, but there was no food that he liked. Well, until the chocolate cake came out. Then Mavis had a massive blow out all over Aunt Jill. They were so sad to see us go!

And then our Disney adventure began. More on that later.

6 comments:

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Fun times! We live in Vista and Carlsbad state beach is one of our favorites. Which beaches did you hit?

patty said...

Ever the diplomat, your aunt said nothing about the blow out

VH said...

HAHAHAHA I am reminded of when I was alone at Gma's and I barfed everywhere in the presence of all those funny people. I was MORTIFIED, but no one teased me.

PS-Mavis looks like she has red hair in the last picture...again...

Double PS-I love Sara.

Thimbleanna said...

You are WAY too funny! A vacation with screaming and blow-outs -- awesome! And I LOL'd when you called the ocean a giant sewer. I'm pretty sure you do drugs!!!

Sounds like a great time -- bring on Disney!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

That sounds like an awesome vacation! The pics were great! My kids have never swam in the ocean, I have the same fear of the waves overpowering them, so it's just the pool for us:)

Can't wait to hear about Disney. Did you go to Disneyland while you were in California or go to Disneyworld? I have relatives in Anaheim so it's tough to visit and not make a trip to Disney:)

Mama Pea said...

So glad you got to see Candice! How fun. So, where did you go shopping?